Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Blog#5 Sagamihara(Kumi)

Hi, this is Kumi. Today, I'd like to talk about my city "Sagamihara (相模原)". Sagamihara is in Kanagawa.

Sagamihara is famous for the laboratory of JAXA (Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency). This laboratory have "Hayabusa(ハヤブサ)". "Hayabusa" is an unmanned spacecraft to bring a sample of material from a small near-Earth asteroid(小惑星) named "Itokawa (イトカワ)". When this spacecraft return to the earth, it became very big news in Japan!  Now, the scientists in the laboratory study the material which Hayabusa brought.
"Hayabusa"
 

And I introduce 2 Sagamihara's interesting events, "Sagami-no-Oodako (相模の大凧, the big kites in Sagami)" and "Higasirinkan Summer Wa!-nival (東林間 サマーわぁ!ニバル)". Sagami-no-Oodako is the traditional event which started from about 1830. This event is held in May every year. This year, it was held in May 4th and 5th. The very big kites are flown there. I think we can't see such a big kite's flying in other place.

↑Oodako's fly!
                                     ↑movie
And "Higasirinkan Summer Wa!-nival" is Awa-odori(阿波踊り)'s festival. Awa-odori is the traditional dancing in Tokushima, but we can see this dancing in Kanagawa. It's very interesting and exciting, so I go to this festival every year.
↑dancing ladies
                              ↑movie
 
Sagamihara is bedroom town, so it doesn't have a lot of tourist spots. However this city is calm and peaceful. I love Sagamihara. I live here as long as possible.


5 comments:

  1. Who flies the kites? Are they professionals or amateurs? Is there a competition or is it a show?
    Wow - you have an Awa Odori festival too. Kyoka told us in her blog that she has one in Koshigaya at the end of August. When is yours?
    Ms. MacGregor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, this is Kumi. Maybe amateurs flies kites, and it's a show. I find this event's English home page. URL: http://www.sagami-oodako.com/e/index.html
      My city's Awa odori's festival was held in August 3rd and 4th.It's alwas held at the beginning of August.

      Delete
  2. Hi, I'm Miyuki. I'm very interested in JAXA bercause I join in earth-science clab. In this summer, JAXA launched two satelites, so I want to go to Sagamihara!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I'm Kyoka. I knew Hayabusa and JAXA but I didn't know that they are in Sagamihara. I didn't go Sagamihara, so I want to go to there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I'm Yuka. Hayabusa is very famous now. Before, I lived in Mitaka city. There is laboratory of JAXA too. And it is close to astronomical observatory.

    ReplyDelete